Software Used: Adobe Illustrator & Adobe Dimensions
About the Project
The goal of this project was to find a poorly designed package and make our own, more effective, redesign of it. After researching products that came to mind and browsing local stores online and in person, I came across the packaging of Borax.
When looking at Borax’s original design, the color scheme doesn’t seem to work well with one another. There was a lot of information on all sides of the packaging, and some seemed to repeat many times, making it a bit excessive for the viewer.
The challenge was that the product was a detergent booster AND a multi-purpose household cleaner. The image on the original package resembled a washing machine. I was trying to think of ways to combine the many functions of the package without making it too cliche or overcrowded.
Sketches / Thought Process
I went through several sketches of what I wanted the product to look like. I focused mainly on the front and back of the packaging as those were the most important sections a consumer would be looking at.
I wanted to add in diagonal elements to help modernize the design compared to the original. I decided to take a different approach and focus on the product, the powder, contained within the package and let the text do the talking about what Borax is.
To the right is a creative brief that was developed before the start of the project. A creative brief is a document used to outline strategies that can be implemented when creating the project. A creative brief includes details about the project's purpose, background history, goals, demographics, and more. It is used as a template to help guide the designer into making certain choices pertaining to the project that will make it as successful as possible.
Below are images of the Borax package redesign put together by myself.